At the beginning of 2018, my goal was to try and complete at least 12 books by the end of the year (one book per month). The final count for 2018 was 8 books completed which was a massive improvement from 2017.
I don’t really have a defined selection criteria when picking my next read though I usually gravitate towards books whose authors are black and/or African and/or womxn.
Completed books in 2018:
- The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood – My interest was piqued after finishing season 1 of the eponymous TV show.
- Born a Crime by Trevor Noah – One of my 2018 faves
- The Secret Lives of Baba Segi’s Wives by Lola Shoneyin
- Kindred by Octavia Butler – Fastest read of 2018. I was 100% engrossed and stayed up all night to finish.
- Freshwater by Akwaeke Emezi
- Stay with Me by Ayobami Adebayo
- Swing Time by Zadie Smith
- Invisible: Stories from Kenya’s Queer Community by Kevin Mwachiro
PS: Check out all of last year’s book reviews here to see my thoughts and opinions on some of the books on this list.
Started but yet to finish:
- Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear by Elizabeth Gilbert
- The Terrible: A Storyteller’s Memoir by Yrsa Daley-Ward
Fallen off the wagon:
- We’re Going to Need More Wine by Gabrielle Union – I don’t know why but I really struggled to finish this one and ended up switching to something else midway.
I tend to buy books faster than I read them so I’m challenging myself this year to try and get through more of my collection first before buying any more. Looking forward to more great reads in 2019.
PS: Check out Terembe‘s wonderful video on the “African Literature Starter Pack”. Happy reading!